Sunday, January 19, 2020

Ripples


Image result for ripples in waterBack in college, what seems like hundreds of years ago, my girlfriend at the time introduced me to one of her good friends.   Bad move.   Almost 50 years later the friend she introduced me to and I have been married for 44 years, had four beautiful children and now have 7 (and counting) gorgeous grandchildren.    Anyone who knows me well knows that the decision to date and marry Pam was the best decision I made in my life (and I’m not just saying that because I know she will be reading this).   Heaven knows where I would be without her.  It’s interesting how a single decision can have such wide-ranging ripple effects not only in our lives but in the lives (and even the existence) of others. 

This month it is 2 years since I escaped from the hospital after my stem cell transplant.   I’m here to write this because a gentleman in Germany decided to volunteered to be a bone marrow transplant donor and when he was called to donate for me, he accepted.  The commitment is not trivial both in time and pain.   That decision not only saved my life but has had a ripple effect on the lives of people around me.   It’s a gift I can never repay.

It’s one of the reasons I feel so passionately about how Help in the Nick of time helps pediatric cancer patients and their families.    In the last year we have driven programs that have helped many dozens of children and families deal with the difficulties of a life with cancer including computers and tablets while in the hospital, gift boxes, camp outing, and day/night out events.    I like to believe the ripple effect goes far beyond our efforts.  It’s only through the support of many of you that we have raised almost $100,000 to be able to fund these programs.   This year I would like to break through that $100K mark and with your help I know we can do it.

For my part, while I’m a long way from running a marathon this year, I will again be striving to complete a multiday marathon challenge.    You may remember last year I committed to completing 26.2 miles over the 7 days leading up to the Boston Marathon and to do it in under 8 hours.    It was far from my less than 4-hour marathons but no less difficult.   Recovery this year has had its challenges but I’m now able to mix a bit of jogging with my walking.  It’s not pretty, and certainly a long way from what anyone would call running, but I’m setting the goal to do the 26.2 miles over 7 days in less than 6 hours.    Maybe I’ll send video this year, although I’d recommend not viewing it in public as the heavy breathing may give people the wrong idea on what you are watching. 

On the leukemia front, results from the latest bone marrow biopsy came back clean (YAY).   Just wish they could test without corkscrewing a piece of bone out of my hip.   But, chances of a relapse go down each year we are in remission so I’m one happy little camper.
So here we go again…another year of marathoning and fund raising.   I believe both our efforts are sending out good ripples far beyond what we know.  I’ll keep you updated on the progress on both over the next couple of months.   If nothing else, the training updates should be entertaining. 

No comments: