Saturday, February 6, 2021

Getting old ain't for the faint of heart


The wisdom of Anthony Hopkins, I can testify that truer words were never spoken.   It’s not so much that it’s a surprise that getting old presents challenges it’s the unexpected nature of where those challenges manifest themselves and the volume that seem to happen all at once.    I think the difficulties of getting old are like having your first child.   No matter how much you hear about it in advance, you have to go through it to really appreciate the challenges

Take my running for instance.   I’ve been running off and on for 50 years and whenever life got in the way and I took a break for a while I could comfortably return to a reasonable performance in a matter of months.     There have been some years, even in my 50’s where I would go from no running to running the Boston Marathon in 4 months.     Even after my first round of chemo and while still fighting Leukemia I was able to bounce back to run Boston in only nine months.    Fast forward to today, three years after my stem cell transplant, and running is a whole different experience.

A number of years ago I mentioned in a blog that anyone could run a marathon, it was just a matter of having the discipline to train for it.  Boy was I wrong.    As natural as running is, to do it right and not get injured requires a combination of coordination and strength that I find sorely lacking in my old age.    I was thinking about this as I was out for a morning waddle that serves for my runs these days.    I accept that as I’ve gotten older that it takes longer to warm up the old muscles and joints so I’m religious about going through a warm up routine before hitting the roads.   But no amount of pre-jog efforts seems to prevents the body from sounding like you just poured milk on a bowl of Rice Krispies (snap, crackle, pop).     The fact that it’s below freezing and I’m bundled up like the kid in the movie Christmas Story doesn’t help the situation.    Those first few miles are so slow and pathetic looking that the dogs in the neighborhood don’t even bother chasing me, not enough of a challenge.    Don’t even get me started on hills.  I’m breathing so heavy in the cold air the giant puffs of steam make me look and sound like a steam engine. 

Clearly age has a lot to do with the how much more effort it takes these days.    I find myself more sensitive to the cold, I don’t see as well in the dark, old injuries come back to haunt me with a vengeance and I just don’t have the strength I use to have.   But I also know that I lost a lot dealing with cancer and still today three years later I struggle to get back to where I was.  I think about all the children who have to deal with cancer and the aftermath so early in their lives and how they need encouragement to keep fighting.   There’s a lot of parallels between cancer and old age, their both not for the faint of heart.

And so it is that I’m taking on the marathon challenge again this year to support those kids fighting cancer through Help in the Nick of Time.   You may remember that last year they moved the Boston Marathon from April to the fall to avoid the pandemic.   The marathon was finally cancelled all together.   Given the current state of the pandemic this April’s Boston Marathon has again been moved to the fall but I’m going ahead with my marathon challenge in April.    Last year I set the goal of jogging a marathon over 7 days in under 6 hours.   This year I’m upping the ante and shooting for the 26.2 miles in 5 days and under 5 hours.   Far cry from 2017 when I ran the Boston Marathon in a little over 4 hours but progress over last year.   With your help I’ll make both my Help in the Nick of Time and marathon challenge goals.  

Kicking old ages’ butt until next time.

 

No comments: