Saturday, April 15, 2023

It's a Family Affair

 It’s Boston Marathon weekend and while I'm  not able to run it this year, I still remember the thrill and excitement of the first one I ran over 45 years ago.   That sense of excitement was still there when I last ran it in 2017.   While the race had changed a lot over the years, I was still like a little kid arriving at Disney World for the first time.

It's not like running the marathon is as much fun as a ride on Space Mountain or Expedition Everest (at least to most people).    It’s just that there is so much effort that goes into getting to the starting line healthy, that when you finally join the other 30,000+ runners at the start staging area there is a huge sense of relief, excitement, and accomplishment (not to mention nervousness).    It's also the 10 year anniversary of the Marathon bombing, another year I'll never forget and a whole different set of emotions.

This weekend I will be running my Marathon Challenge fund raiser to help kids battling cancer.  It’s no substitute for doing it at the Boston Marathon but I consider myself blessed to still be running at all.  In December I had a medical issue that required several operations and will require another in several weeks.  While I’ve still been able to run, it has been at a much-reduced level.   So this year I put out a call for help.   All three of my children, their spouses, 4 of my nine grandchildren and my sister will be joining me to run part of the distance with me, or if necessary, for me.  It’s an awesome tribute to their brother/uncle Nick and to Help in the Nick of Time.  Should be an interesting day.

I’ll post an update after the weekend and let everyone know how it goes.

Fingers crossed!

No comments: